This article is specially written for people traveling to China for a short period of time, whether for tourism or business. If you want to spend a relatively long period of time in the country, this article may also be useful to you, although we recommend that you read our guide on the Internet in China.
SIM cards for China – Table of contents
- Telephone companies in China
- Buying a Chinese SIM card online
- Buying a Chinese SIM card in China
- Useful information for Chinese SIM cards
What do you need to know about the Internet in China?
Below, we give a very brief summary of certain important aspects that you should know about accessing the Internet in China:
- In China, the Internet is restricted: As you should already know, many websites and apps are blocked in China, such as Google, WhatsApp, Facebook, and YouTube, among others. However, you can still easily access them by using a system called a VPN (or virtual private network).
- Chinese Internet can be slow: The Great Firewall of China, which is responsible for restricting Internet use in China, has a collateral effect: it makes connections from outside China a lot slower. While Chinese websites work relatively quickly, if you want to use websites (or apps) located outside of the country, you are going to have to be patient.