Born in 2012 as a modest project, NordVPN has become one of the most complete and popular VPNs on the market. Currently, this VPN provider (whether fortunately or unfortunately) is competing to be one of the leading VPNs in China, which is quite possibly the hardest test of the reliability of any VPN service.
Below you will find a complete review of NordVPN.
- Encryption protocols: OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP/IPsec and IKEv2/IPsec
- Simultaneous connections: 6 simultaneous connections.
- Number of countries with servers and server count: 5,118 servers in 62 countries, including 2,314 in the USA, 2,319 in Europe, 461 servers in Asia and the Pacific and 50 servers in Africa, the Middle East and India.
- Server changes: Unlimited.
- Applications: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android and iOS.
- Customer service: Service 24/7/365 through live chat, support tickets and contact forms.
- Free trial period or guaranteed money back: It offers guaranteed money back for 30 days.
- Extras: Dedicated IP addresses, Smart DNS, DDoS protection and web proxy extensions. It also offers the CyberSec function (which helps to block suspicious websites and malware) and the Double VPN function (double encryption that goes through 2 servers).
The best things about NordVPN
Simultaneous connections: Nord VPN lets you connect up to 6 different devices from the same account, whereas the majority of similar VPN services offer between 3 and 5.
Easy to use: NordVPN’s applications are well-designed to be intuitive for users that aren’t experts at using VPNs.
Advanced functions such as CyberSec, Double VPN and Automatic Kill Switch: If you’re worried about security, CyberSec helps you automatically block suspicious websites, malware and DDoS attacks to keep your device safe. The Double VPN routes your connection through two servers, encrypting it twice and thus providing an additional layer of security to your connection. Last of all, the Automatic Kill Switch automatically blocks your connection or closes certain programs if you VPN isn’t connected, guaranteeing that certain pieces of data are never exposed.
The worst things about NordVPN
Customer service: Certain users complain that at times their support service isn’t exactly perfect.
Fluctuating speeds: It’s common for there to be fluctuations in connection speed, as some servers are relatively slow and the connection to certain servers disconnects frequently.
Software: Some users complain that NordVPN’s applications sometimes block their computer.
Although NordVPN’s applications are designed to be easy to use, users who need to be able to browse without restrictions in countries such as China will need to use advanced functions.
If you’re in a country with Internet use restrictions, it’s recommendable to use Obfuscated servers. To do so, go to Settings -> Show Advanced Settings, and click on the I know what I’m doing button. A bit lower down, you will see Obfuscated Servers. Set this to ON and look for the server that works the best.
Prices and plans
NordVPN offers 3 different plans:
Monthly plan: 11.95 USD per month.
Annual plan: 6.99 USD per month (83.88 USD).
Bi-annual plan: 3.99 USD per month (95.75 USD).
Dedicated IP: 70 – 140 USD per year
Given that it has a 30-day period for guaranteed money back, it’s worth choosing annual or biannual plans, as they are a lot cheaper.
NordVPN offers a ton of extras such as CyberSec, Double VPN and Automatic Kill Switch, which makes it an excellent VPN for people who are worried about their security when browsing the web.
It can also be useful for users who want a dedicated IP, that is an IP address that only one user use and therefore it is much more difficult to be detected.