Does ExpressVPN still works in China? The short answer is “YES”!
The purpose of this article is to review ExpressVPN, which, in my opinion, is one of the best VPNs currently on the market. If you still don’t know what a VPN is, just go till the end of this article to learn more.
Why is ExpressVPN one of the best VPNs on the market?
ExpressVPN offers one of the best encryptions and IP blockers on the market. How do I know? Because it is one of the few VPNs that is able to pass one of the most demanding tests that exists: I’m talking about the Great Firewall of China, which limits access to innumerable websites such as Google, WhatsApp, Facebook, and Twitter.
For years, we have tried a lot of VPNs, both paid and free in China, and I ensure you that few are capable of getting around the Great Firewall of China, and among those, few offer a stable and fast connection. For this entire time, ExpressVPN has been a sure choice, as it has only rarely experienced problems in this country.
Technical features of ExpressVPN
- Encryption protocols: ExpressVPN allows the main encryption protocols, such as UDP-OpenVPN, TCP/UDP, SSTP, L2TP/IPsec and PPTP.
- Simultaneous connections: ExpressVPN allows you to have 5 simultaneous connections.
- Number of countries with servers: 94 countries and 148 different locations
- Server changes allowed: Unlimited
- Applications: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android and iOS. In addition, it offers extensions for Safari, Chrome and Firefox browsers
- Customer service: 24/7 via live chat and email.
- Guaranteed money back: 30 days.
- Special functionalities: Split tunneling (lets you decide which programs and/or websites use the VPN and which don’t) and integrated speed test
The strong points of ExpressVPN
- It has its own servers: This may seem obvious, but the large majority of VPNs especially the cheap or free don’t have their own servers. These VPNs rent the servers or on the worst occasions use your computer as a server, because of which they offer slow connections and make your computer much slower.
- It offers servers in 94 countries: This is one of the most important features, especially if your intent is to elude the geographic limitations of certain services. Don’t worry! You can watch your favorite Argentine series via streaming!
- It is very easy to use, regardless of your device: This is one of the aspects that I like the most. ExpressVPN offers the adequate software and apps, regardless of your device or operating system (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS or Linux) or explains in detail how to configure it in the case of PlayStation, Xbox or older versions of Andriod. In addition, its software is very easy to use: It does not require login (just activation when you install it), it automatically selects the best encryption protocol for your network and suggests the location of the servers that offer the fastest speeds from the place you are connected.
- Good technical assistance: Out of all of the VPNs that I have tried to date, ExpressVPN has the best technical assistance. They are quick to answer and normally solve your problem efficiently. This aspect is very important, especially in countries with significant Internet use restrictions like China, where properly adjusting the features of your VPN is essential to enjoy a fast and stable connection.
What would improve of ExpressVPN?
- Dedicated IP addresses: There is an increasing demand for users that want unique IP addresses that aren’t shared with other users. At this time, ExpressVPN is not yet offering this possibility.
How much does it cost ExpressVPN?
ExpressVPN costs 6.67 USD per month if you buy an annual plan (with our exclusive discount), 9.99 USD per month if you buy it for 6 months and 12.95 USD per month if you buy it for only one month.
In my opinion, 6.67 USD per month for one of the best VPNs on the market is very reasonable. In fact, it is one of the cheapest VPNs with its own servers. Obviously, you can always choose a cheaper or free one, but don’t complain when everything is slow, your browser is filled with ads and you realize that your connection is not just insecure but that your browsing history is copied and sold to third parties.
What is a VPN and why is it useful to me?
A VPN or Virtual Private Network, to put it simply, is a system that allows you to send and receive information over the internet as if you were directly connected to a private network. It is mainly used to:
- Get around restrictions on internet use that exist in countries such as Iran and China, for example.
- Access services which are geographically limited; that is, which are only available in certain countries. For example, if you want to see your favorite series on Netflix or Hulu, you won’t be able to, unless you are in the United States. However, if you use a VPN to connect to an American server, you will be able to.
- Send send sensitive information (such as banking information) over insecure networks. VPNs allow you to encrypt the data you send over the internet, and as a result, it is much more difficult for third parties to read this information.
Frequently asked questions
Can ExpressVPN be used in China?
Yes, ExpressVPN is one of the few VPNs that can still be used in China. This VPN lets you access the Internet in China without restrictions, either from your laptop or your mobile devices. Currently, only the OpenVPN protocol tends to work in China.
Does ExpressVPN work in China in 2019?
Yes, ExpressVPN works in China in 2019. Despite the intense campaign to limit VPN use in China during the entire year of 2018, ExpressVPN continues to work without problems in 2019. In fact, it is one of the VPNs that has best withstood all of the updates to the Great Firewall of China over the past years, and tends to be a safe bet for the country.
What is ExpressVPN used for?
ExpressVPN has multiple uses. Among the most popular are:
- Accessing restricted websites in countries like China.
- Accessing geographically-restricted websites, in particular TV streaming websites.
- Safely downloading files.
- Improving the security of your connection, especially when using public Wi-Fi networks.
Is ExpressVPN safe to use?
In theory, using a VPN should improve the security of your Internet connection, but there are many VPNs (and especially free ones) that are sometimes more dangerous than the potential risks of connecting without a VPN. ExpressVPN is a serious company that has been on the market for many years, and which has proven itself to be a reliable and safe VPN.
How do I know if ExpressVPN is working?
The fastest way to know if your VPN is working is to go to a website like whatismyip.com and check your IP address and location without connecting the VPN. Then, once you’ve connected ExpressVPN, go back to the same page and check that your IP address and location have changed.
What is the best VPN protocol?
Normally, OpenVPN is usually the most used protocol, as it is secure and quite fast, as well as the only protocol that works in countries like China. The PPTP protocol tends to be the fastest, but it’s better to avoid it, as it isn’t very secure. The L2TP/IPSec protocol tends to be quite secure, but it’s without a doubt the slowest.