How to get a Mongolian Visa – Index
- Do I need a visa for Mongolia?
- How long does it take to get a Mongolian visa?
- How much does a Mongolian visa cost?
- Where can I get a Mongolian visa?
- Can I get a visa upon arriving in Mongolia?
- What are the basic requirements for getting a Mongolian visa?
- What other requirements may be necessary to get a Mongolian visa?
- What are the validity and duration of the visa?
- Can the visa be extended?
- Do transit visas exist?
- Frequently asked questions?
Do I need a visa for Mongolia?
Starting in 2016, the obligatory visa for the majority of nationalities has once again been put into effect. However, some exceptions exist:
- Stays of a maximum of 90 days for people who hold passports from the following countries: The United States, Brazil, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macao, Serbia and Ukraine
- Stays of up to 30 days for people who hold passports from the following countries: Canada, Germany, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Russia, Thailand and Turkey.
- Stays of a maximum of 21 days for people who hold passports from the Philippines.
- Stays of up to 14 days for people who hold passports from the following countries: Hong Kong and Singapore.
How long does it take to get a Mongolian visa?
It is recommend that you apply for the visa at least 15 days before leaving. The time it takes ranges between 2 and 10 business days. In the case of an express visa, you will get it in between 24 and 48 hours (depending on where you apply).
How much does a Mongolian visa cost?
The price of a single-entry tourist visa varies depending on the country where you are applying. In Europe, it costs 60 Euros or 40 GBP (in the UK), and in the remainder of countries, it ranges between 50 and 60 USD. If you apply via a Honorary Consulate, you will have to add administration costs to this price.
If you also apply for an express visa, it will cost you more, possibly even doubling the price of the visa (for example, in London it costs 20 GBP more).
Where can I get a Mongolian visa?
Theoretically, you can apply for a Mongolian visa at the diplomatic mission closest to your place of residence or the closest honorary consulate. However, on a practical level, you can apply for a tourist visa at any embassy or consulate in the world.
If there are no diplomatic missions or honorary consulates in your country, you have the option of applying for a visa upon arrival at the border (see below) or at Chinese or Russian embassies or consulates.
Relevant diplomatic missions or honorary consulates:
Embassy of Mongolia in the United Kingdom
Address: 7, Kensington Court, London W85DL
Telephone: (+44) (0)2079370150
Hours of operation: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday from 10:00 to 12:00 in winter and Monday to Friday from 10:00 to 12:00 in summer
List of other consulates in the United Kingdom
Embassy of Mongolia to the Commonwealth of Australia
Address: 23, Culgoa circuit, O’Malley, ACT 2606
Telephone: (+61) (02) 62862947
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 13:00
List of other consulates in Australia
Honorary Consulate of Mongolia New Zealand
Address: 30A, Avalon Crescent, Avalon, Lower Hutt 5011, Wellington.
Telephone: (+64) (04) 5692788
Hours of operation: Monday to Wednesday from 10:00 to 15:00 (appointment)
Mongolian Embassy in China
Address: 2, Xiushui Beijie, Jianguomenwaidajie, 100600 Beijing
Telephone: (+86) 1065321203
Other Mongolian consulates in China
Mongolian Embassy in Russia
Address: 11, Borisoglebsky Per., 121069 Moscow
Telephone: (+7) 4952906792
Other Mongolian consulates in Russia
Embassy of Mongolia to the United States of America
Address: Embassy of Mongolia consular section, 2833 M Street NW, Washington DC 20007
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 13:00
General Consulate of Mongolia San Francisco
List of honorary consulates in the United States
Embassy of Mongolia to Canada
Address: 151, Slater Street Suite 503, Ottawa K1P5H3
Telephone: (+1) 6135693830
List of honorary consulates in Canada
Can you get a visa upon arriving in Mongolia?
Update June 2017: At the present moment it seems that isn’t possible to get the visa on arrival.
To get a visa upon arrival at the points of entry to the country, such as Chinggis Khaan (Buyant-Ukhaa) International Airport in Ulaanbaatar, at Zamyn-Uud Train Station on the south border, or at Sukhbaatar Train Station on the north border. These types of visas are reserved for people from countries where there is no Mongolian diplomatic mission.
However, to get the visa at the border, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs must have been previously informed via an authorized agency, normally a travel agency or a hotel.
What are the basic requirements for getting a Mongolian visa?
- Passport with at least 6 months of validity;
- Completed application form. You can download the form by clicking here for the United Kingdom, here for Australia, here for New Zealand, here for the United States and here for Canada;
- Recent photograph sized 4×3 glued to the form;
- Proof of health insurance (not always). To get the visa, you will need to have health insurance covering repatriation. This proof must demonstrate coverage in Mongolia, the name, policy number, and the validity during the travel dates. Click on the following link for more information on health insurance in Asia;
- Copy of the ticket or booking for transportation entering and exiting Mongolia. If the entry is via land, alternatively, flights entering or exiting the bordering countries of China and/or Russia may be presented. If you are entering via other means, you can present a letter explaining the reasons why the corresponding tickets are not being presented (attaching the necessary documentation);
- Proof of payment of consulate fees. At the majority of consulates, you cannot pay fees directly; rather, you will have to pay the amount to a bank account they specify;
- Letter from the travel agency or hotel (only if you have booked a tour);
- Envelope with the return address for the passport (only if processing by mail).
What other requirements may be necessary for getting a Mongolian visa?
For certain passports, it may be necessary to provide additional documentation:
- Letter of invitation from the authorized travel agency or hotel;
- Proof of financial solvency.
What is the validity and duration of the visa?
In general, the visa is for 30 days and has a validity of 90 days; that is, you have 90 days to enter the country from the date that the visa is issued, otherwise, it will expire.
Can the visa be extended?
Yes, if you plan to stay in Mongolia for more than 30 days, you can extend the visa once you are in the country. To do so, you will have to:
1. Less than 7 days following your arrival in the country, you must register at the Office of Immigration, Naturalization and Foreign Citizens (OINFC):
Office of Immigration, Naturalization and Foreign Citizens (OINFC)
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Baga Toiru, Chingueltei District
Tel: (976 11) 313 616
To register, you must provide a 3×4 photo, complete the form and show your passport.
2. One week before your visa expires, you must go back to the OINFC with your passport and the completed visa extension request form. The process takes 2 to 3 business days and the price depends on the duration of the extension; for 30 days extra it costs 61 USD.
Do transit visas exist?
Yes, so long as your stay is not for more than 3 days. Keep in mind that this visa does not allow you to get off of the train (or leave the airport), and to get it, the requirements are the same as for a tourist visa. The only difference is that the price is somewhat less than the tourist visa.
[Photo Credits (Creative Commons License): www.flickr.com/photos/semparadeiro/]
Frequently asked questions
Three bottles of perfume
1L of spirit
2L of wine
3L of beer